View Single Post
Old 10-22-09, 09:10 AM   #9
davelaser

Default Re: NVIDIA Developer Talks Openly About Linux Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by woelfel View Post
IMO RandR and KMS are the most important not-yet-implemented features for every day desktop users. Much more important than VDPAU or 3D-acceleration. But apparently not a selling argument for graphics cards. The OS AMD driver (radeonhd) has both. Unfortunately, it seems it will still take a couple of months (weeks?) until the radeonhd driver is stable enough for every-day use. But it looks like its time will come. And NVIDIA is stuck with their closed-source beast:

Funny... until now NVIDIA ruled in the linux world. Soon this will change, and I suspect my next graphics card will be made by AMD. And I don't mind closed-source drivers. But I want drivers that support "standard" features!
What a bunch of rubbish. RandR would be nice but KMS vs hardware video acceleration? I don't see how that's even in the same ballpark.

Try using any of the other drivers sometime, the difference between X with the nvidia drivers and X with anything else is night and day. The nvidia driver is an example of probably one of the most successful, stable and well implement closed source applications for linux.
davelaser is offline   Reply With Quote