View Single Post
Old 10-23-09, 01:29 PM   #20
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: End of the line for GTX 2xx series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Toss3:
It's true that AMD/ATi is a larger company, but their market cap is always dropping very low due to their huge debt, and failure to establish market share and make a profit year after year.

About the only bright spot on their horizon is PC gaming graphics cards, and half of that market isn't enough to float a company their size. (even if they weren't saddled with the billions in remaining debt after they had to sell their foundry)
AMD without ATI would be doomed, but their Phenoms seem to do pretty well and AMD could make a profit by the end of the year. Really don't understand why we haven't seen more ion-like stuff from amd yet(which was something I think everyone expected from the fusion).

Quote:
They don't compete in their primary business (CPUs) at all, and they get stomped flat in the handheld/workstation/MCP/GPGPU markets. I've heard their console business might break even, if that.
Right now all we have to go on are rumors and they all suggest that the next generation of consoles are going to carry either intel or amd gpus.

Nvidia have only managed to snatch a contract with Nintendo thus far for the Nintendo DS, but even that hasn't been officially confirmed I think.

Quote:
It's nice ATi could add 20fps to their last gen by doubling everything, but my hunch is Fermi will do everything the 5870s do, better, and add much more. The only advantage being first to market with DX11 is going to have in this case is some sales for a quarter.
Your wording is pretty weird here as 20 fps in crysis would be a tremendous feat while in COD 4 it wouldn't amount to anything. The 5870 is easily 50-100% faster than its predecessor when it comes to high resolutions and AA. On top of it all it's pretty cheap and rumor has it that the price has a lot of wiggle-room yet as productions ramp up.

Nvidia I think are going to have a hard time keeping up with AMDs aggressive pricing this round.

Quote:
Very soon every product AMD/ATi sells is going to be totally outclassed on all fronts.
That remains to be seen, but right now ATi has the upper hand at least when it comes to desktop graphics cards.