View Single Post
Old 11-06-09, 03:22 PM   #4
Elvin Presler

Default Re: BAM! Spontaneous Shut Down

Guess I should have specified that...

The moment a new Windows install boots to the desktop, I commence to turning off all fluff that I know of. I disable all the following (depending on the OS) in every place I can find it, control panels, services, gpedit, where ever:

UAC, System Restore, Volume Shadow Copies, Readyboost, Superfetch, Defender, Windows Firewall, Gadgets Platform, Indexing and Search, Error Reporting, Wake on LAN stuff, Cool n Quiet and S.M.A.R.T in the BIOS, Set high performance mode and disable screensavers, sleep and HDD shutdown set to never, Hibernation disabled via "powercfg -H off", no Desktop Composition, or shadows, transparency, fading, or any other desktop bling bling.

The sata driver I had not considered. Are there any that aren't for raid? I'll have to look around on that one.

See anything I missed there? I probably forgot a couple things that I turn off. I think I'll go slap my Windows 7 Image back on here and try it out a bit more (using XP now). I'm eyeballing this Antec power supply just in case too. Topower makes some decent PSU's but I don't really trust mine being I can find no info on it.

EDIT: I restored my image of Windows 7 Pro 64, did chkdsk /f, then was about to check and make sure I had unchecked indexing from the drives, right clicked "Backup (D)" to see properties, got an hourglass, no menu. Thought hmmm, I'll try to open it from my desktop shortcut...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	win7.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	38631  
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote