View Single Post
Old 11-11-09, 08:53 AM   #1
K.mn

Default 190.42 too unstable

I know it's a bad title, but I couldn't come up with a better one.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz was generated when I booted up my system like I usually do, not running "startx -- -logverbose 6".

Firefox crashed of segmentation fault within a few second to one minute.
nvidia-settings and gnome-terminal crashed. Seemed more durable than Fx comparatively.
Sudden reboots.
Going back to gdm forcefully (because X crashed?).
System always froze eventually within five minutes, if the above reboots or gdm problem didn't occur.
It happened twice that users other than root couldn't log in by "unable to authorize user" error. Even after the driver removed, the terrible situation lasted. I got able to log in after five reboots or so.

When I tested the driver half a year ago, even yum and zsh gave errors, which frightened me, so I didn't get into these problems this time.

nvidia-bug-report.log.2.gz was generated when I ran "startx -- -logverbose 6" as root (because I couldn't run it as a normal user) and Fx crashed.

It was much more stable for some reason. The only problem I encountered while I was testing the driver for over 20 minutes is that Fx crashed once. Since an application crashed, it should not be called stable though.

When I assign either 32MB or 64MB to VGA share memory at the bios, nvidia-settings reports "Memory 256MB".
Either 128MB, 256MB or 512MB, "Memory 512MB".
Does the nvidia driver allocate additional memory itself?

Sorry for my bad English.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.2.gz (54.1 KB, 98 views)
K.mn is offline   Reply With Quote