View Single Post
Old 11-18-09, 09:40 PM   #1
mbarnes

Default Kernel Module failed to load: Kubuntu 9.10 and Nvidia X86_64 190.42 driver

Is anyone successfully using the latest Nvidia driver on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic)?

I just upgraded to Kubuntu 9.10 and got it running, then I downloaded the latest X86_64 Linux driver -- 190.42 -- from the Nvidia web site and ran the install. No problem. (I had been using an older release of the driver on the previous release of Ubuntu.) I made sure to follow the instructions in this forum for installing on Ubuntu.

But when I started up kdm, I get a dialog with the following error messages:

(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "nividia" (module-specific error,0)
(EE) No devices detected

I looked in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/kdm.log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log but cannot find any messages any "additional error messages" (configuration messages, sire, but no error messages beyond what I've already listed.)

However, there are some suspicious messages from modprobe in kdm.log:

modprobe: invalid option -- 'Q'

followed by a modprobe Usage statement

and then this:

FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

Oh, after reading up on using the NVidia driver on the release of X.org on this release of Ubuntu, I did modify /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc, changing ServerCmd to include the flag "-ignoreABI".

I suppose if I knew where the modprobe command line was coming from I could remove the "-Q" from it, but I don't know where to look. Would it work? I don't know.

The free driver doesn't work for me as I have two Nvidia 2-head cards (OEM with HP System) for a 4-head setup using xinerama. (This setup was working fine with the previous releases.)
mbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote