View Single Post
Old 11-19-09, 05:33 PM   #7
desperadus

Default Re: Really, really ticked of about this. NVidea breaks Xinerama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
For #1, most distributions, including SuSE, have packages you can use to install the driver.
NVidea's own update/install routine (-> nvidea-installer) sniffs out any such package and starts throwing a fit if it finds it:
"...has detected that the original installation has been altered..."
It then insists on removing any and all traces of such YaST installed drivers (so we can read from the YaST package database, but not write into it?!) before continuing installing itself.
As I was banished to the text console by NVidea after my kernel upgrade and the ncurses interface of YaST didn't work at the time, I was foolish enough to just run "nvidea-installer" from the text console. Hoping it would simply recompile the existing driver for the new kernel. How foolish of me indeed :-(

Quote:
#2: Please see the forum sticky posts about how to generate a bug report.
Which part of "I don't have time for this" didn't you understand?!
Last time it took one of the NVidea tech folks a whole week before he finally came up with the two - well hidden(!) - secret options needed to get my 2nd display out of VESA mode.

This time around I just switch to Nouveau Open Source drivers and make a note for myself: NEVER, EVER BUY NVIDEA AGAIN!
I lost a whole day over this nonsense. Not going to loose the rest of the week, too :-(

Quote:
#3: I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you referring to the driver selection menu at nvidia.com?
I am talking about NVIDIA-INSTALLER!!!
NVidia's own, messed up software tools which come with the driver.

I already tried re-installing the old driver, but that won't compile with the new kernel no more.
Even so I only went from the 11.1 to the 11.2 kernel:
2.6.27.37-0.1 -> 2.6.31.5-0.1

But the old driver insists on locating header files which no longer exist in the x.31.x sources.
Not even VMware is that picky!!