Originally Posted by AaronP
I know it's confusing, but 185.19 is actually older than some of those 185.18.* releases.
Since you have the 185.18.14 driver working again, can you please generate the bug report log I requested for comparison against the 190.42 one? I do want to get to the bottom of this problem.
OK, its day #4 and I am finally(!) back were I started (and I sooo much love to run around in circles, 'cause I got nothing better to do all day).
I can now 100% confirm that the last version of the NVidia driver to fully work on the Thinkpad W700ds is indeed 185.18.14.
I find the comment from NVidia that >185.19 is actually older than some of those 185.18.*< not "confusing", but rather silly to be messing around with version numbering like that.
Older versions get lower version numbers than more recent ones
- that's how its done!
Now to be 150% sure that this was not an issue of my new 11.2 kernel just not being recent enough for the even more recent NVidia drivers, I actually went all the way to the latest factory kernel release for testing: 2.6.32-1.2.x86_64
Was a pain in the rear to download and install the kernel, sources and compiler by hand, as I don't have the factory repo in my YaST list (for good reasons, as this baby has to be stable
But I did get it to work at last. Hint for anyone trying to attempt the same, if you do get "Can not Build/Load Module" errors after the actual compilation went through just fine, make sure that "/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build" is linked to a valid directory!
Because that is where the NVidia script insists on dumping its finished modules.
And do not
just link that one back to "/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/sources" as I've seen suggested somewhere else, as that will lead to all kinds of crap messages.
If that link is invalid, then you're still missing some kernel source/header package, which you need to install via YaST.
Also, if after (to) much un-installing of NVidia drivers you suddenly get an error msg "can't read libglx.so", then you're not really missing that file, its just that a previous uninstall run of NVidia didn't remove that link. So it still exists, but points to an invalid file name.
Repair that broken link by hand via "unlink <FileLink> && ln -s <RealFile> <FileLink>" and simply run the installer again.
Don't forget to block the FTP download with the (well hidden) option "--no-network", if you got as messed up as I did with the "latest & greatest" from NVidia's FTP archives.
In any case, all that back & forth didn't change a thing. Only after I went all the way back to kernel 22.214.171.124-0.1 and compiler 4.3.4 did I get a usable result. But yet again, only with my original NVidia driver x64-185.18.14.
None of the later x64-185.18.xx drivers worked and the 190.xx, well you know that story already.
I wasted 4 days on this stuff, because NVidia for some reason decided to break a functionality that used to work just fine.
And by the way, these $4000+ Thinkpad W700ds are being sold as officially
supported by SuSE & NVidia on Linux.
So yes, I do have kind of an expectation that NVidia keeps up their side of the bargain, at least not take away stuff that used to work just fine already.
Now I got Xinerama back working, with two separate Desktops
, with gorgeous native resolutions of 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 and my 2nd Screen tilted left side up - as it should be.
But those lost 4 days I'll never get back :-(