View Single Post
Old 11-26-09, 02:06 AM   #18
desperadus

Default Re: Update to 190.42 breaks Xinerama AND TwinView!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conky View Post
Wow, you totally read that wrong and proved my point. I'm guessing English isn't your native tongue. Those links you pointed to are on IBM's website. They are drivers for a NVidia card provided by IBM, not NVidia. Notice the "ibm.com" in the URL. Also, I wasn't suggesting that you were mistakenly running Windows, or that you could even run Windows drivers on Linux. I was commenting on your statement from your previous post:
The Windows driver with the statement I refer to is here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/noteboo...6.81_whql.html

Obviously, this doesn't help your Linux problem,, it only refutes your statement that NVidia's drivers support your laptop on Windows. If you also notice, there is no Linux driver provided on that IBM/Lenovo support site. Lenovo almost certainly works around design flaws in your second monitor on Windows. The missing EDID is not necessarily damaged hardware, likely a design flaw that was worked around in Lenovo's Windows drivers. Lenovo manufactured your laptop, not NVidia, and thus they are the one's responsible for supporting it if they advertised it as supporting Linux. Please respect other people's time is used to respond to you as well.
Accusing me of >English not being my native tongue< is most certainly a very technical argument and indeed as factually relevant as the rest of your posting.
Try to educate yourself on the subject you are talking about.
This is supposed to be a Tech Forum, where people are supposed to get practical help.
Not a n00b5 playground

First of all, IBM doesn't own Lenovo, doesn't produce Thinkpads and most certainly doesn't write any video drivers for those units
The only reason why that URL is still routed via IBM's servers is a hosting agreement IBM made with Lenovo when they sold them their entire PC business.
Its just to avoid confusion amongst 1000+1 customers still running around with those old URLs.
And no, Lenovo doesn't write video drivers either.
Those are all original NVidia drivers, signed & sealed by NVidia, with their Logo and their Trademark and Copyright notice.
And if you can't read those NVidia texts, then try to learn English yourself first and don't attempt such a cheap cop out with an IT engineer like myself!

Second it would have been a heck of a lot more productive for you to realize that going on about Windoze drivers does indeed not help with any Linux issues. But then again, you just felt compelled to post something, anything right...
What happened, girl friend hang up on you or was it just pure boredom?

Third that quote of mine you ripped out of context was to prove the point that there was no hardware failure and to prove that I pointed out that the NVidia(!) driver on Windoze can talk to the 2nd screen just fine.

Fourth that URL you provided says NOTHING about NVidia not supporting Thinkpad W700ds under Windoze.
Nothing, but nothing at all to that regard is posted there!
It talks about >(please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)<.
Now if you don't know the meaning of Original Equipment Manufacturer and that in this case that obviously refers to NVidia, then it proves once and for all whose English language skills are lacking here.
And to add to the flavor of things, your statement that >there is no Linux driver provided on that IBM/Lenovo support site<, perfectly collides with your other claim that >Lenovi is respnsible< for those drivers.
They might be responsible for the agreements they make with companies like NVidia to write those drivers for them, but just as you got no clue that NVidia has Windows driver for the Thinkpad W700, so you are utterly ignorant about the fact that there are links on IBM/Lenovo's web sites telling people where to download those Linux drivers from - directly from NVidia!

Fifth That is an NVidia GPU in my laptop. And no NVidia didn't "produce" my Laptop. Just like NVidia doesn't produce any PCs or Servers. Why that should matter in this context is beyond me, as for example Hitachi doesn't produce Thinkpads either.
But its still their Travelstar harddisks that are running in them.

An OEM driver customized for a merchant's specific hardware configuration is still a driver written by the Original Equipment Manufacturer - NVidia in this case. I know its difficult to fathom for a n00b5 that just because it says Toshiba, Hewlett Packard or IBM on the casing, it doesn't mean they "made all the parts" their systems are comprised of.
Its a virtual reality out there - just try not to bother the grown ups with your panic about it.

Sixth as long as you got no clue about whose writing what part of software for which part of the system, don't know an OEM from an RPM package or think that Red Hat is in the Pizza business, do us both a favor and stop replying to my postings

Pleaaase, being confronted with so much lack of knowledge gives me headaches.

And about the so called "value of your time", well mine costs $250 per hour.
How much do people pay you for your tech advise?

PS: Don't try to tell me what IBM does or doesn't do in the Computer business, as you got no clue who you are talking to here.
desperadus is offline   Reply With Quote