View Single Post
Old 12-03-09, 10:28 AM   #5
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: I need some help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
It sure does help! We can get into the nitty gritty later.

I'm not really sure that you even need to use a separate NICs on the servers, just a separate VLAN from the desktops.

I would just configure your desktops all on one subnet and then all of the servers on another.

Desktops
192.168.0.X

Servers
192.168.1.X

It will probably be easier to keep all of your servers on the VLAN they are on now and just change the desktops. All you'll have to do is configure the VLAN on your switches, set up the scope and correct options in DHCP, and setup any routes that might be needed.

You really don't need a fully separate physical network, just separate logical networks. I support around 800 users who heavily use our servers directly, plus 4000 that need internet access. We have VLANs based on building/floor and then just one VLAN for our servers. We never have an issue where heavy network between servers negatively effects our customers, even with single Gigabit nics.
Thanks, but I am inheriting the network that was already set up. The desktops and the servers are all on the same subnet ( ), and to change the routers and the desktops (that may or may not be using DHCP) would be more problems than a solution.

I thought that since I have dual NICs in all of the servers, that I can set them up on a separate subnet and balance the network load with the servers communicating on a separate subnet. Am I not wrong?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote