View Single Post
Old 12-03-09, 11:38 AM   #6
Q

Default Re: I need some help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Thanks, but I am inheriting the network that was already set up. The desktops and the servers are all on the same subnet ( ), and to change the routers and the desktops (that may or may not be using DHCP) would be more problems than a solution.

I thought that since I have dual NICs in all of the servers, that I can set them up on a separate subnet and balance the network load with the servers communicating on a separate subnet. Am I not wrong?
What kind of position are you in at your company? Do you have separate desktop and network technicians, or are you kind of a one man show?

If you want things to run right in your organization, I would highly advise getting all of your desktops on DHCP. It's going to make your life a lot easier in the long run. The good news is, if you are on Active Directory, you can just push out a package and have it set all of your workstations to DHCP. It's how we transitioned years ago (before Q) at my organization. There really shouldn't be that much problem reprogramming your switches or routers.

If you are dead set on using the separate interfaces on the servers, you should be fine. Just give them an IP address on a separate subnet, make sure to leave the default tateway BLANK!!!!, and plug them all into a dumb switch. You should be fine and even be able to specify servers by netbios name.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote