View Single Post
Old 12-04-09, 03:46 AM   #8
Ubuntaqua

Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
yeah I've seen some claim that much of the hd mpeg stuff that isn't accelerated, is still handled well by the dual-cores, so i guess its not a 'biggy'..

The tricky part now is deciding if I just want to get the raw components, or a ready built system like an acer revo?

Also, I think I recall seeing an ITX mobo that actually used Core2 CPU's and the same sort of IGP, guess it'd have much more of a premium though...
I had the exactly same issue a few month ago.
Bottom line is :

- Do you need big hard drive(s) (or multiple hard drives) --> Yes ? --> raw components
- Do you use something specific for sound ? (few ready built systems have a coax audio output for exemple, and onboard analog audio really suck for true "hi-fi" fanatics like me). yes ? --> raw components
- Do you wish to have a BR drive/burner ?
- Do you have computer parts that you wish to reuse (big hard drive, optical drives...) --> row components

For all those questions, the answer __in my case__ lead me to build my own system.

There's a dozen reliable ION mini-ITX motherboards so pick the one that fits your need (dual Atom ? onboard Wifi ? onboard Blue-tooth ? coax numerical audio out ? ). Some Zotacs even have an included power supply.

The hardest part for me was finding the exactly right computer case. I needed to reuse 2 normal hard drives (not 2.5in hdd like in laptops), a normal 5.25in optical drive, a passive PSU, and a WAF compliant design. I went for the Gigabyte MIB T5140, but only because it became available in stores before the Thermaltake Element Q, which was also a good choice for my needs.

Good luck
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote