View Single Post
Old 12-05-09, 11:11 AM   #14
Ubuntaqua

Default Re: Improved ION IGP w/better VDPAU support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Some great points thanks!
Actually I just realised that the Essence ST + H6 I bought would have to go into my Media Front-End, so a pre-built system won't do!

I'm guessing most content will be streamed from my Myth Backend /NAS so heaps of storage isn't a big deal.
1x 3.5" 1TB should be plenty, maybe even just an cheap-arse SSD?!

I seem to hear Zotac mentioned a lot so I'll have a closer look at their mobo's.
Thanks also for the case selections!

I'm not going to be picky, I've been far too anal w/other systems I've been designing lately and time is now of the essence!
You WILL have a problem finding a motherboard with a ION chipset with the correct number of PCI / PCI-express slots. Most of them (all of those I looked into anyway) are mini-ITX. Wich means ONE slot : 1 PCI or 1 PCI express 1X or 1PCI express 16x. I was predjudiced against sound cards, and had already purchased an external DAC, so that wasn't an issue for me but you should be carefull about that.
The only one (that I know of, there could be others) with a PCI slot for your sound card is the Asus AT3N7AI featured here. I almost bought this one because it was cheaper than the zotac. Beware though, some people say it's small fan makes a lot of noise. I currently don't use the fan included in my zotac so maybe you can remove this one (at your own risk ).
With a PCI card your choice of computer case is also slightly more limited. Some small cases (mine, for exemple) do not allow a PCI card.

Good luck for your search
Ubuntaqua is offline   Reply With Quote