View Single Post
Old 12-16-09, 08:50 PM   #41
Xion X2

Default Re: Should Nvidia add Eyefinity to their Fermi boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
I am talking past, present, and future. Nvidia ahead, ati ahead, Nvidia ahead, ATI ahead. I have been a hardware enthusiast for a long time (had 3dFX, upgraded to Geforce 256, then have had ATI and Nvidia cards back and forth ever since). It is not a race. People will buy now, people will buy in the future. It is not like everyone is ready to buy now and this is the only time they ever will.
My original reply had to do with you saying "it appears ATI may have won the performance crown back."

There's no "appears" about it, they have. Hands down, no questions asked, for the present and immediate future. Will that change eventually? Likely, as history tends to repeat itself. But it appears that it will happen nowhere on the foreseeable horizon unless Nvidia has a dual-GPU card that is ready to go when Fermi launches, because a single GPU will more than likely not do it.

Obviously, today is not the only time that "everyone is ready to buy," but again, if Fermi offers no performance increase over 5970, then what reason would anyone who has purchased a 5970 within those 4 months since it launched have to drop it and go Nvidia?

I think that it's time for a few to admit that ATI just has Nvidia's number this round just as Nvidia had ATI's number with G80. It happens, and the pendulum will probably swing again at some point in the future. But for right now, ATI is positioned the best. They had the jump on release, and they have a dual-GPU card which Nvidia probably will not match performance with at their product's release (I can't remember the last time that either camp launched with a dual-GPU offering.)

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote