View Single Post
Old 01-02-10, 11:30 AM   #73
MikeC
Administrator

Default Re: ASUS EAH5870 - "Unofficial" Review

It's been almost three months since I posted in this thread, but I've been off from work for most of the past two weeks celebrating the holiday season.

Before hooking up with my guild last night in Guild Wars, I re-installed the ASUS EAH5870 along with the latest Catalyst drivers.

The graphics engine in Guild Wars is based on the DirectX 8 API and the game is certainly not the most stressful. I think that award continues to belong to Crysis

However, this gave me an opportunity to crank up the graphics to extreme settings - 2560x1600 with 4x supersampling antialising and the highest quality in-game graphics.

Other than areas where heavy smoke effects occurred, the game was perfectly playable. Even more impressive was the GPU tempearature, which hovered around 66 degrees Celsius with the fan speed at 28% capacity as shown in the thumbnail below.

Click the link below for a full size screenshot.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/asus_e..._wars_temp.gif

One feature that I value is a GPU that runs at lower temperatures and is reasonably quiet under stress. I have to admit that the Radeon 5870 meets this requirement. My experience with previous graphics cards based on high-end Radeon GPUs was they ran hot and fan noise was annoyingly loud. Not so with the 5870.

It will be interesting to see how NVIDIA's next-gen responds in this area.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote