View Single Post
Old 01-08-10, 08:13 AM   #59
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: So Many XP Users Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocky View Post
Why not? I use Windows 7 myself and I can't think of a single good reason to recommend anyone using XP to upgrade, other then Windows 7 looks nicer and you get DX10 and 11 support not that anyone needs it.
XP is quite old though. There have been alternatives to it since 2006 in the form of Vista and there really is no reason why anyone building a new computer would dump an OS from 2001 onto it.

Also for the reasons outlined in my post above.... 64-bit XP gets crap for support from vendors so you are then limited to 4gb if you want a stable XP install. Simplified networking through homegroups, not to mention wireless cards just work with windows 7... for the most part. Every build I've done with windows 7 so far has immediately picked up the wireless adapter and used it without special drivers.

Not to mention 7 and vista load some applications significantly faster with the pre-loading of commonly used applications through the memory management pre-fetch system they use.

... Yes, there's no reason why someone with ~2gb of memory who isn't gaming with a dx10+ card should upgrade. But that's honestly not going to be a majority of people moving forward.

Don't down-play the importance of DX11 either. It hasn't been realized yet but OpenCL and the use of video cards as a gp-gpu outside of their proprietary APIs (stream / CUDA) is going to be a great boon to the performance computing world that can't be realized with proprietary APIs. Granted I'm sure the people who are interested in things like this wouldn't be running XP any longer anyway...
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m