View Single Post
Old 01-08-10, 01:48 PM   #35
rdriscoll

Default Re: VDPAU 9400GT MPEG2 artifacts

Everyone in this thread has the GeForce 7025/10 / nForce 630a chipset and a 9400/9500 GPU. That combo seems to create the artifacts. gator123 reported that switching to a 220GT GPU solved it so far - but did anyone try switching motherboards yet? Seems like the artifacts are a timing issue, almost like the sections frame buffer are being skipped during de-interlacing and we are seeing what was there last. I didn't want to buy new hardware but it may be the easiest way to solve this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaengert View Post
I have the same symptoms, but with a Sparkle 9500GT and a GA-M68SM-S2 motherboard. Similar to the others, this MB has the GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset. I previously had an ASUS 8400GS, but it was the 256MB version and so it was underpowered for VDPAU. The 8400GS never displayed these artifacts, but they appeared as soon as I 'upgraded' to the 9500GT.

I happened to have access to another identical 9500GT, so I tried that one too. It behaved the same, so I don't believe this is simply a bad card.

As others have reported, the problem only affects MPEG2 recordings with VDPAU. Interestingly, the problem largely (but not entirely) disappears if I watch the same recordings with mplayer (with VDPAU). Using the mythtv internal player, there are far more artifacts.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with Mythtv 0.22 and the Avenard patches, and the 195.30 driver.
rdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote