View Single Post
Old 01-18-10, 12:45 PM   #15
Q

Default Re: Windows update automatic reboot???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
What the hell is this crap?

I was just playing Dragon Age Origins and the game minimized. The firefox window I had in the background was asking if I'd like to save the tabs for later, as if I was trying to close the program. Then without warning Windows explorer shut down, the shut down screen came up and said it was installing updates, my system rebooted, finished the updates and I was left at my desktop with the Microsoft Security Essentials window open.

I've never ever ever seen Windows update shut down active programs and reboot without any user interaction. According to the update history, the following updates were installed:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2010 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB972270)
Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB972696 (Definition 1.71.2106.0)

So, I've just changed Windows update to only download updates and not to install them automatically. I've been using Windows 7 for several months now without anything even remotely close to a problem. Its been a totally flawless OS... but this is just stupid. Why would this happen?

Now I'm going to go load the game back up to see how much progress I lost.
LULZ

I see that you posted this shortly after 3:30AM. You know, the default time that Windows restarts your computer to apply updates.

Q is offline   Reply With Quote