View Single Post
Old 01-20-10, 12:16 PM   #42
Slytat

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
I would not compare NVidia 200series with ATI 5000series cause it's stupid to do so. 200 series are DX10 and 5000 series DX11 cards. Speaking of DX10 and DX11, the current state of the market says that we don't need it. All games are still on DX9, pretty much. Maybe the reason behind it are Consoles and considering the fact that Sony and Microsoft wont replace their Consoles by year 2014 tells me enough. We ain't going to see fully utilized DX11 by year 2013, speaking of which i don't think Microsoft will push any new DirectX with Windows 8.
I am glad Doom 4 is going to be using OpenGL, it's time we revisit OpenGL again . If you already bought Crossfire ATI setup with 5000 series and even though Fermi is going to be faster then ATI counterpart, it's not worth replacing it. SSD Drives, USB3.0, SATA 6, 6 Core CPU, a bigger Monitor sounds a better deal.
How is it "stupid to do so" (compare the two) if we "don't need it" (DX11)? You've totally contradicted yourself.

The fact is that 285 SLI offers comparable performance (vs 5970). If DX11 doesn't count (which it doesn't really at the moment as you quite rightly pointed out), then it's a completely legitimate comparison.

I would still buy a 5970 over 285 SLI at present, but that doesn't change the performance.

Yet another person trying to justify their expenditure while making absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Enthusiasts want the fastest cards, why would we stop at ATI if Nvidia turns out to be faster or vice versa? I'll take the cards AND the SSD, USB, SATA, Gulftown etc, not either or.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote