View Single Post
Old 01-20-10, 03:31 PM   #46
Slytat

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Nothing to do with defending purchases at all,as i know i bought a pair of monsters,but the sad reality is,benchmarking cards as powerfull as these,on either HD5970's of Fermi cards,on a single display,even if it's a 30" LCD at 2560*1600 resolutions with 8X AA,will result in at least some cases that are CPU limited,so in those cases,we're not really testing the video cards,as it becomes more the video cards testing the rest of the system....Bank on it.

Not to mention that single 30" LCD is over 1000$ easy,and that 3 displays can be not much over 1/2 that amount,depending on what you choose,and the extra workload reduces the chances of being CPU limited,so it's not a matter of liking or disliking triple displays,it a matter of wanting to show what these GPU's can really do with current games.

ATI can do it with a single card....Nvidia needs at least 2 fermi cards in SLI,making it a more expensive option,and since you'll be running dual or triple SLI fermi cards,you're definitely going to need those 3 displays to uncork the speed potential of those cards.
I have plenty of monitors, I just don't game on multiple monitors. I may well set something up for BlackShark but that's a future project.

As far as NEEDING multiple monitors to exploit the cards fully, well that's your opinion, and again, it sounds more like a justification but you are entitled to it.

We've agreed before that we have entirely too much GPU power and nothing to exploit it so talking about ATI's ability to use more monitors may be a selling point for you, but it isn't for me.

I'm not happy with ATi's offerings, you are.

The bottom line is that enthusiasts are the kings of overkill!

/end of
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote