View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 07:09 AM   #64
jolle

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Just my take on the Fermi.
It's an impressive architecture, however I think they are less interesting for myself as a gamer.
Perhaps if I was using my computer for GPGPU'ing I'd consider buying it.
Every transistor in there that handles compute and GPGPU is part of the shader core that runs the shader code when gaming, so its not really a waste if you dont pull any GPGPU applications.
To add to that, GPGPU and compute does include running physics on the GPU in games, be it via PhysX, Bullet or Havok.. CUDA, OpenCL or DX Compute.
Postprocessing done via DX Compute seems like something were gonna see more of aswell, this is also a type of GPGPU usage.

Now, how ATi and NV compare in these situations, one GPU, rendering, doing compute based postprocessing and perhaps OpenCL based physics at the same time, we dont know yet, both should have really fast context switching going between these different tasks atleast.

Im not really in a rush to upgrade yet which is nice, so Im just gonna sit back and see how this all plays out.
It is comforting to know that the ATi offering is as solid as it is though, should NVs turn out less then awesome.