View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 09:47 AM   #65
Slytat

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
GTX 285 SLI isn't as fast as 5970. One review (Guru3D) doesn't make a trend. If any of you can pull other reviews that show this, I'd like to see them.

<snip>

Some of you have green-tinted glasses.
Serious case of Pot, Kettle, black there.

I don't want to rekindle this argument again but in my case at least, I wasn't arguing that 285's (SLI) were faster, merely that they aren't that far behind.

As you seem so intent on reminding us about the 5970's voltage and clocks, I'm sure you'll concede that 285 SLI is Nvidia's LAST generation and is almost 2 years old. It's fairly impressive that it keeps up with ATI's brand new flagship card.

Another thing, if you are going to do comparisons, at least use charts that have 285 SLI results in them and stop using theoreticals.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...review-test/14

I know, you don't like G3D. The thing is that A : He does actually test 285 SLI and B : His test results are very similar to mine so I'm going to go with G3D and my own hands on experience. As you can clearly see in that test, the 5970 is faster, but not by much.

HAWX is the only game where I saw the 5970 over 15% faster in my own testing and I suspect that is driver related.

In conclusion, it is faster but for a new card, a ~10% performance increase is nothing to write home about and does not "leave GTX285 SLI in the dust even further".

I think it is you who has the red tinted glasses on

PS : You can overclock 285s as well, the fact of the matter is, the 5970 will be faster, just not by much.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote