View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 11:06 AM   #67
Slytat

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
It doesn't change the fact that the direct competition for a single 285 is a 5850....not the 5870 at all, not only that....the 5850 beats the 285 in just about every game out there...while costing less money.....and using less power. Big one here "costs less money" than nV's last generation, that they EOL'd instead of dropping prices to compete(because there just wasn't enough margin to drop pricing any further.) Hell the 4890 trades blows with the 285 and I've seen them for $200 bucks.

You wanna talk about Sli...talk about 5850 X-fire as competition, again...it will cost less, and use less power while returning better framerates. It will also support Eyefinity at extreme resolutions and DX11. I know you'll argue that the 5970 is essentially a 5850/5870 crossfire setup on a single card, which it is, and it's even less expensive than a 285 Sli setup making it an even better value.

If you're talking about people who already, at this point, own 285's...yeah they are still fast. I mean hell even an 8800GTX is gonna throw up decent numbers in most games with good quality setting, just not on the extremes.

If someone currently has a 285 SLi setup...then I see no need to upgrade to anything either nV or ATi at this point...and I wouldn't recommend it until such time as DX11 is more in the mainstream swing of things.
I'm not talking about cost, power consumption or anything else. I was talking specifically about the 5970 vs 285 SLI in terms of speed.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote