View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 12:02 PM   #72
Xion X2

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Serious case of Pot, Kettle, black there.
How does stating the facts give me red-tinted glasses? You and Sowk said that 285 SLI was comparable to a 5970; I simply showed that it isn't. In some cases, a 5970 is 3x as fast as a 285. In most, it's at least twice as fast, and you will hardly ever see SLI on the 285 scale to 100%.

Simple deductive logic. Has nothing to do with being biased toward one company or the other.

Quote:
I don't want to rekindle this argument again but in my case at least, I wasn't arguing that 285's (SLI) were faster, merely that they aren't that far behind.
You don't want to "rekindle" anything, yet you repeatedly ignore facts that are right in front of you. In most cases, a 5970 is at least twice as strong as a GTX285, and in some cases it is three times as strong. Given that SLI will almost never scale better than 80% in most titles, how does that equate to "aren't that far behind?"

Quote:
As you seem so intent on reminding us about the 5970's voltage and clocks, I'm sure you'll concede that 285 SLI is Nvidia's LAST generation and is almost 2 years old. It's fairly impressive that it keeps up with ATI's brand new flagship card.
And here we go again. Are you really serious? "It keeps up?" Where, exactly? In one benchmark test? (Guru3D)?

Where are the rest of the tests that show this? Again, one case doesn't make a trend, especially when that review appears to be the outlier among other reviews that can be accessed across the web.

I've not seen another review yet that repeats Guru3Ds findings. If you can find one, then I would really like to see it. Honestly. But until I do, I will keep firm with my stance.

Quote:
Another thing, if you are going to do comparisons, at least use charts that have 285 SLI results in them and stop using theoreticals.
No, because it's not necessary. You'd like me to, because then you could use your one little benchmark over at Guru3D to prove your point since there are hardly any 285 SLI benches out there that do a direct comparison to 5970. But it makes no sense to deduce that you can't accurately gauge how an SLI setup would run by simply doubling the performance of a 285 (SLI = 2x,) or is that math too complicated for you?

Quote:
I think it is you who has the red tinted glasses on
Yes, because guys with red-tinted glasses often spend 1200$ on Nvidia cards and 300$ on waterblocks to fit Nvidia cards to build watercooled SLI systems:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...oject+poseidon

And they often praise the architecture of their upcoming competitor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
But for a single GPU to come within 20% of that [5970].. think about it. It's pretty impressive.
And they often rip on their own drivers while praising their competition's drivers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Nvidia drivers aren't "perfect," but they're better than ATI's.. especially when it comes to multi-GPU.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...08&postcount=9

Yes, I'm clearly biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat
]PS : You can overclock 285s as well, the fact of the matter is, the 5970 will be faster, just not by much.
It's not overclocking. Read the PCPer article again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPerspective
though the memory is running at 1.0 GHz it is rated at 1.2 GHz. [/b]
They're not "overclocking" the card; they're setting it at its factory-rated speeds. The card is downclocked on both the memory and the GPU to slide in under power specs. This was not the case with GTX285; it was already running at its factory rated speeds.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote