View Single Post
Old 01-31-10, 11:49 PM   #4
poltsy

Default Re: Fedora 12 + nvidia driver 96.43.14 = black screen and Xorg 100% cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabruhn View Post
I'm bummed to say the least. I choose nVidia based on the recommendations in the Fedora community about the excellent Linux support. I noticed a post where it states:
Note: nVidia currently doesn't support cards older than Geforce6 on the xorg-x11-server used by Fedora 12. Please verify that the nouveau driver will fit your needs while upgrading.
That note is probably outdated. 96.43.14 should support xserver 1.7 if the release notes are to be trusted.

Quote:
1. Switch to Ubuntu - Unfortunately I see Ubuntu users posting to this forum with issues whose charecteristics look similiar to mine.
2. Switch to Fedora 11 - Potentially there is support for GeForce4 cards.
It could be that the xserver 1.7 support in your specific configuration is not exactly working properly so either one of these ideas could very well be worth a try.

There's nothing obvious that stands out in the logs except for that magic NVRM: Xid error/warning. The config file also looks okay other than for a couple of redundant options (AIGLX is on by default and AddARGBGLXVisuals can't be enabled when composite is disabled) so it's a bit hard to make any real suggestions.

Quote:
3. Buy a newer video card - Dell website recommends my Precision 530 can handle a nVidia Quadro FX 4000 AGP. My AGP slot is 4x (1.5 volt). The Quadro FX 4000 AGP is 8x (0.8 Volt) but the tech specs say it is AGP 1x (3.3 volt) compatible. I hope that means it is also AGP 4X compatible. A picture of a 4000 on Ebay looks like the key is at the 1.5 volt position to me.
The AGP bus is a mysterious creature. It was designed so that if the card fits in the slot it shouldn't be dangerous to try but if it actually works stability and performance wise seems to really depend on the specific card and board combination. Good luck with that

I'd try something with xserver 1.6 or earlier first though.
poltsy is offline   Reply With Quote