View Single Post
Old 02-06-10, 09:48 AM   #1
cormanaz

Default Freeze/X lockup during VDPAU playback

Greetings. I am having a problem with the screen locking up during playback of MythTV recordings when it is set up to use a VDPAU playback profile. This problem does not happen when it is not set up for VDPAU playback (but that's not a solution because it overloads the processor and hoses the audio). When the lockup occurs, a hard reset is required.

Previously this was accompanied 3 out of 4 times by a kernel panic. But in an email Andy Ritger suggested installing the manufacturer version of the drivers (was using RPM Fusion package before) and installing the public beta version. I did that and and am no longer getting the panics--at least it hasn't happened in 5 tries.But the lockup persists.

Per the note in the sticky, I turned on VDPAU trace and debug and logged the output of mythfrontend to a file (attached). The board wouldn't allow me to post the whole thing so I deleted the middle. I also ran nvidia-debug (attached).

This is a newly built system (F12). I have run memtest86+ on the RAM and it shows no problems. I am wondering if I could have a bad video card (it's a MSI N8400GS-TD512 GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16). However I can find no linux--based diagnostic software for it so don't know how to rule that out.

One other odd symptom: On graphical boot-up it fills in a "bubble" in steps and when this is complete shows it the fedora logo inside the bubble. Occasionally (probability maybe .05), the filling in progressively slows down until the last last filling-in step and stops there and the boot doesn't complete. A reset then produces a normal boot. Don't know what is happening underneath of course, and I don't know if this could be related, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Suggestions for how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (42.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: log myth.log (56.4 KB, 112 views)
cormanaz is offline   Reply With Quote