View Single Post
Old 02-16-10, 12:14 PM   #3
eamiller

Default Re: VDPAU 9400GT MPEG2 artifacts

Stephen,
You're right on the /usr vs. /var. The files are in /usr/lib, my brain just inserted /var/lib for some reason.

In regards to the glitches, I should clarify a little. With Xv, the mpeg glitches (if they show) are limited to a very small region of the image and the frequency is very infrequent (though the small area of effect probably hides the glitches better).

With VDPAU, the glitches seem to affect a large portion of the frame, sometimes the whole frame. Not only does this cause the affected part of the frame to become garbled, but it will also shift sideways at times.

I've attached 2 images showing approximately the same part of a recorded HD file. In this particular case, the VDPAU artifacts lasted several seconds in approximately the same place (as is plainly visible), in this case Xv showed no visible artifacts. There was a scene right at the start of the video that both VDPAU and Xv showed glitches, and the Xv was far less noticible (I wasn't able to get a freeze frame on it as it happened very quickly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentalist_With_VDPAU copy.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	39455  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentalist_With_XV copy.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	39456  
eamiller is offline   Reply With Quote