I've just bought a W510 with the Quadro FX 880M, and it's working so far. I'll describe my system setup and usage in hopes that it may shed some light on the situation:
I'm using Arch Linux with xfce (not gnome). I installed nvidia-beta 195.36.03-1 and nvidia-utils-beta 195.36.03-1 (these packages are from the "archlinux user repository", the main collection of 3rd party packages). I got my xorg.conf
file by running nvidia-xconfig. X has been running (but not in constant use) for 6 hours. I have briefly tested some of the 3D screensavers that come with xscreensaver, and I have used mplayer with VDPAU. Online flash videos play fine.
Here is my Xorg.0.log file
. The only interesting part is that the nvidia driver encounters an error when it tries to communicate with acpid, which isn't running. There's a scary-looking error at the end, but that only happened when I used mplayer to do stress testing (and it did not
crash the X server). Here is my computer's sudo lspci -vvv
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help shed light on this problem!