View Single Post
Old 02-23-10, 01:27 PM   #44
Rollo

Default Re: nVidia unveil at Pax East

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Nope, not sure at all. I'm not attacking Rollo's post or info, or Fermi. I'm anxious to upgrade and I personally like to take time to consider information before hand. that's all I'm saying. A few days to read and compare and mull over all available info. That's all.

@ scubes - ahhh text wall!
I have no quarrel with you either grey_1, and I can appreciate your frustration waiting fo this launch. (and everyone else's)

A lot of people are comparing this launch to the FX5800 and the HD2900 because it's six months behind the competing launch due to respins, and that it's suspected the cards will run hotter and at higher voltage.

Those things all MAY be true (don't know on heat and voltage) but that is where the similarity ends.

The FX/HD were both much weaker in AA performance than their competitor. I've watched the GTX480 run the FarCry2 demo twice as fast as a GTX285 with AA on. I've seen a PR slide showing how the 4X to 8X MSAA penalty has been cut by a huge percentage. NVIDIA is also launching a new mode with more samples that performs VERY well. So that is different.

The FX/HD launched at performance significantly lower that their competitors, from what I've been told and what I've seen, I don't believe this to be the case with the GTX480. I think it will launch as the market leader. That's a BIG difference.

The FX/HD lacked significant features their competitors had, like usable DX9 performance for the FX and AF angle invariant AF for the HD. The GTX480 has everything the HD 5870 has, and much more in terms of checkbox features.

NVIDIA is launching a better part than the HD5870 on 3/26, they're just launching it half a year plus after the part it competes with. If 3/26 is too long to wait for a better part, you should buy a 5870 now. It's not like they're "bad" cards, they just won't be the "best" cards in a month.

Last- my guess is that NVIDIA withholds clocks and performance to keep ATi in the dark and make them either guess with their refresh, or wait and lose some sales. You would too if you controlled NVIDIA- your responsibility would be to the stockholders.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote