View Single Post
Old 02-24-10, 01:41 PM   #116
Rollo

Default Re: nVidia unveil at Pax East

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Really now?....The delays are accurate as charlie has been stating for months now,but hey it's Fud according to you.

Here's another good question,why show the cards at PAX,which is basically a glorified lan party basically,when CEBIT is in march 2nd to the 6th in hannover germany,and i think it's a lot more well known and gets way more media coverage than PAX ever will,and i quote

http://www.cebit.de/homepage_e

And as for holding back clock speeds,i told you already,ATI itself alread went on the defensive and mentioned that Fermi might take the speed crown for a while,and ATI is a business in the end,so the refresh parts,whatever they are,are going to be clocked as high as they can,while still having good yeilds.

Trying to clock them as high as possible even after Fermi is released in some sort of dick mesuring contest,so that reviews show it winning,but when it comes to mass production,the yeilds are so bad that hardly any volume can be made,is no victory for ATI in money making terms,it's just a PR victory at most,and it's completely pointless.

Oh and here's what they're going with the 300 series designation,and this has got to be a new record in rebranding:

http://vr-zone.com/forums/564815/it-...more-gpus.html

If i were an Nvidia investor,would that make me happy when ATI has DX11 cards on the market and performing better than those already,for the same money....No i wouldn't.
1. Why not show the cards at PAX? It's a week earlier? I'm sure NVIDIA will be at CeBit as well.

2. You apparently didn't understand me, and you apparently don't understand business. Are you an adult?
There are choices to be made when manufacturing these products. If NVIDIA released game benchmarks (or to a lesser extent clocks) 3 weeks before launch, ATi can make choices about their refresh parts.
A more expensive heatsink fan might be needed to run the cards at competitive (or better) levels, or a better PCB. I'm not an electrical engineer but better quality capacitors, etc might be required. Even if the board layout and HSF is "set in stone" a choice might be made to use more voltage to run at higher clocks, or not, and give OEMs the freedom to market OCd variants,or not. They might opt for higher speed and factor higher returns in exchange for a "halo" part, or not.

This is how business works. You don't tip you hand and give useful information to competitors because "some guys on the forum want it" or "the press wants it".

Likewise, withholding the information doesn't imply the parts are bad, or good. Much like the HD2900XT and HD4870, or the FX5800 and 8800GTX were surprises of the good and bad flavor, lack of information does not imply anything. (contrary to what chromosome deficient stillborns like Charlie Demerjian post as they soil their cheap boxers, or ATi fans post as they think "Ooh boy! I'm helping ATi now! Down with NVIDIA!")

Capiche?

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote