View Single Post
Old 02-28-10, 12:03 PM   #30
shadow001

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Here's my prediction:
Q2/Q3/Q4 see a 66% NVIDIA/34%ATi desktop marketshare ratio like we had last year.

Some will buy/keep ATi cards because they'll be cheaper. Most will buy NVIDIA cards because a. they do anyway due to name recognition b. even more so due to feature set.

ATi can go on about "open standards" for things like AA, PhysX, and 3d, but the public doesn't care about that- they just want the stuff.

Personally I'm counting the days till 3d Surround drivers are available- I just want to have it after playing with it at CES. I don't especially care ATi has opened up the drivers so 3rd party firms can develop for it- I want the tech NOW not in some hoped for future.

Same with PhysX. I want the option to use it NOW, not in the hoped for future. Even if they do some OpenCL physics games, I'll be able to use them as well. I want ALL physics accelerated games because they look better. The Terminator Salvation vid on YouTube pretty much nails why people should want PhysX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWukRISu8cg

It's pretty obvious which looks better and would be more fun to play.

Actually it's pretty much split 3 ways between intel/Nvidia and ATI overall....Even though by modern standards,Intel built in graphics within it's chipsets suck hard on both performance and features,and the last dedicated video card intel relased was the i740 way back in the Nvidia Riva 128 days(NV 3 GPU i think).

Anyhow,the main reason for open standards for me isn't just so that i can use any video card to enjoy it,but mainly for developers to use that feature on all games,knowing full well they'll work with all hardware....Keeping it closed to one brand will absolutely make sure it'll never reach the popularity it could otherwise,as Nvidia isn't the only player in the market,and developers know this full well.

Assuming of course,we weren't largely playing tweaked console ports on our PC's anyhow,so the consoles did win the overall battle,as i haven't seen a PC exclusive title in quite a while now.