View Single Post
Old 02-28-10, 11:24 AM   #32
Rollo

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I wouldn't consider Physx to be an argument to wait for Fermentation. Using a single card with physx reduces performance, however using a dedicated physx card you can use either AMD or nV and since AMD's on the shelf right now, offers kickass performance and many people were wondering what they were going to to with that old 9800GT anyway, it's a no brainer get a 5000 series card for video, and use that old nV card as dedicated physx. Win on both fronts. DX11 and Physx....now that's awesome.
A guy with a Phenom and a Radeon doesn't think a lot of PhysX?! No way!

Unfortunately, NVIDIA doesn't QA ATi products for PhysX, so there are no official drivers for such an arrangement.

YMMV, significantly, by trying to use hacks and bathtub drivers. Hopefully people won't take your advice and think they can use an ATi cards with a dedicated PhysX card. Even if it works one day, it may not the next, and who knows if everything will be rendered as it should when using unofficial drivers?

As for PhysX reducing performance, why yes Johnny, most things that greatly enhance image quality do. People should watch that Terminator Salvation video I linked to and notice how the game is going to look like an Xbox game on their Radeon, and like cutting edge tech on their GeForce.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]