View Single Post
Old 02-28-10, 03:05 PM   #46
Rollo

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I'll keep this short and to the point:

1:ATI sells 35 million GPU's a year on average.
2:ATI has been in business for over 25 years now,even well before Nvidia actually existed as a company,or released their first GPU,the NV1,which supported quadratic patches,while other companies supported polygon based rendering,and making that choice to go to quadratic patches btw,nearly bankrupted them.

The only other companies that old,that are still in business are matrox and S3 basically...Something to keep in mind.
When I read this post, it says "ATi staffer" to me. All pretense of being an enthusiast cast aside, time to get down to business.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't, but:

1. ATi does indeed sell GPUs every year, but that wasn't my point. My point is that since the 8800 series launched, ATi parts were inferior until the 4800 series launched. Since that day, I have read 8,023,562 posts about why NVDIA is doomed from people like you. You parrot Charlie's FUD, you make up your own, and in general post anything you can to try and damage NVIDIA's business. And like I said and illustrated with actual links to report of ATi's actual position in the market, all this marketing noise doesn't really reflect what is happening in the market.

2. ATi can't really count itself in the company of Matrox and NVIDIA, although they could be lumped in with S3. ATi sold controlling interest in their company long ago, because they couldn't cut it. Try typing "www.ati.com" into your browser's address line these days and see where it takes you. If you are an ATi staffer, I hope you guys have more to hang your hat on than NV1 days. Truth be told, if ATi wouldn't have bought ArtX's tech and got the R300 in the bargain, they probably would have joined 3DFX, S3, and Rendition long ago.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]