View Single Post
Old 02-28-10, 02:43 PM   #47
Rollo

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Funny,and here i though that when i played the beta of battlefield bad company 2 for instance,and can pretty much knock down anything from fences to,cement walls and trees or even bring an entire house down,and do it in any order i wish,with whatever weapon i want,that it's pretty good physics calculations going on.

And it doesn't require a GPU for physics either,it's all done with the CPU...

So your argument for GPU accelerated physics was?
Better than your argument against it.

What you ATi guys have never got about the "open standards" line of reasoning is that it doesn't matter if open standard someday replace the proprietary standards.

The guys with the proprietary standards features still have them, and the open standards. So they're covered, while ATi buyers have to watch that Terminator Salvation video and think "Crap. When that game launches I'm going to have to play it with far less visual effects, because I bought this ATi card."

Or in a few weeks when I'm posting about 3D Surround and what it does for games, again they'll have to think "Crap. I can't do that because ATi can't figure it out."

NVIDIA owners aren't excluded from anything. (or at least they won't be when Fermi launches in 26 days) ATi owners have to mumble, "Well those effects aren't good anyway" or "Who needs AA? Someday ATi will patch it!" or "That 3d stuff is a fad, who cares what CES was all about this year?!" or "It's no problem switching the discrete graphics off and on by hand in my notebook, why would I want that to be automatic?" or "Who needs those CUDA apps, someday someone will write something for ATi!" or "Why would I need access to my multi GPU profiles, and why don't games launch with a profile".....

The list just goes on and on and on and on.

The reason ATi never gains any market share is they have no money to offer the public the features the public wants. They just cough up the same stuff year after year, but faster, and think people don't notice what modern, full featured video cards can do.

Probably the best thing that could happen to gamers would be if the Middle East finished buying AMD and actually pumped some money into R&D.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]