View Single Post
Old 02-28-10, 05:10 PM   #51
shadow001

Default Re: I know nobody really knows but is a GTX480 going to be faster then a HD5970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
When I read this post, it says "ATi staffer" to me. All pretense of being an enthusiast cast aside, time to get down to business.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't, but:

1. ATi does indeed sell GPUs every year, but that wasn't my point. My point is that since the 8800 series launched, ATi parts were inferior until the 4800 series launched. Since that day, I have read 8,023,562 posts about why NVDIA is doomed from people like you. You parrot Charlie's FUD, you make up your own, and in general post anything you can to try and damage NVIDIA's business. And like I said and illustrated with actual links to report of ATi's actual position in the market, all this marketing noise doesn't really reflect what is happening in the market.

2. ATi can't really count itself in the company of Matrox and NVIDIA, although they could be lumped in with S3. ATi sold controlling interest in their company long ago, because they couldn't cut it. Try typing "www.ati.com" into your browser's address line these days and see where it takes you. If you are an ATi staffer, I hope you guys have more to hang your hat on than NV1 days. Truth be told, if ATi wouldn't have bought ArtX's tech and got the R300 in the bargain, they probably would have joined 3DFX, S3, and Rendition long ago.

No i'm not,just old enough to have seen the birth of 3D graphics for home systems from the very start,and the bull**** marketing departments perform to make their hardware look special compared to the competition,even when direct X sucked hard and didn't support enough features compared to Glide or either OpenGL,and GPU makers always added that something extra in the graphics features dept.

But what eventually happened?....DX got better,OpenGL went by the wayside for games,and starting with DX10,all features because mandatory to support in the standard,with no possibilities to support extra features at all,so GPU makers can't make their cards add that special something in terms of graphics features anymore.

So what does Nvidia do starting in 2008?,add physics support and 3D vision,which have nothing to do with microsoft standards,in order to make their products seem special to less experienced users...Same ****,but slightly different smell when compared to what happened with the graphics standards getting unified thru Direct X10 for everybody.

And apart from the NV1,there was also the NV30,and it remains to be seen how fermi shapes up,and that Nvidia also no longer has a licence to make a chipset for intel for the i3/i5/i7 platforms,only the older prescott CPU's....Keep that in mind