View Single Post
Old 03-04-10, 09:47 AM   #1
Stevia

Question Realistic time frame for Fermi (not happy with 5870)

Hello fellow members!

I was wondering if any of you could give me a relative time frame for fermi's release. Also what is the estimated price range? I am in a bit of a pickle here. Currently I own a 5870 and I am very unhappy with it. Powerful Hardware no question about that, unfortunately hardware is only half of the equation while drivers are the other half and this is where ATI fails. I plan to sell this Card before ATI lowers the price when fermi comes out.

This is my first time using ATI products, so prior to owning them I had heard all about the numerous driver problems etc...When I purchased this card many had claimed at this point that the ATI drivers were much improved and no longer had the problems that plagued there past drivers.

In my personal experience I find this to be untrue. Ati is constantly releasing drivers fixs(hot fix) and usually it fixes one thing and breaks 3 others. I am sick and tired of this and it's inability to force AA consistently, Vsync issue etc... while Nvidia drivers never had a problem in this area. Only after actually owning/testing the ATI hardware does it make me appreciate the Nvidia Drivers even more. My 6800+8800GTX was a dream to use, compared to my 5870. CCC is poorly designed period. This is not a question of getting used to ATI's different approach to driver interface. I learned all the ins and outs of CCC and still came away very unimpressed. Nvidia control panel is simplistic and straight forward. If it was not for ATI TOOLS I would have already lost it.

Anyways I am borrowing my brothers GTX260 for the time being. I want to be able to reserve or make a pre-order on the fermi card when retailers have the available information. I need to have an idea of how much cash I need to put aside. Right Now I have $500-CAN
Stevia is offline   Reply With Quote