View Single Post
Old 03-04-10, 01:50 PM   #1
MSales

Default LCD panel is turned off when using nvidia driver with GeForce 310M

Hello,

I have a Sony VAIO VPCF111FB laptop which has the GeForce 310M chipset.
After installing Kubuntu 9.10, video works ok with the open source driver, although with insufficient color depth and no 3D acceleration.
After installing nvidia driver (packages nvidia-185-kernel-source and nvidia-glx-185 from ubuntu repos, installed by the Ubuntu Hardware Drivers application), X stopped working. I get only the console prompt.
Then I updated the kernel and related packages to see if the problem would be solved, but it got worst: now the LCD panel is turned off while X is loading. The operating system is still running and I can access the box using ssh. I've done that and ran nvidia-bug-report.sh, but the generated file contains no useful information:
--------------------------------

Start of NVIDIA bug report log file. Please include this file
when reporting a graphics driver bug via the nV News NVIDIA
Linux forum (see www.nvnews.net) or by sending email to
'linux-bugs@nvidia.com'.

nvidia-bug-report.sh Version: 3813502

Date: Qui Mar 4 15:28:38 BRT 2010
uname: Linux home-01 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 02:39:34 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
--------------------------------

If I remove the above listed packages and the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, X works again using the opensource driver.

I see some people in Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392766) who have this problem too and were able to solve it following the instructions at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=22, but I can't use the suggested workaround because I don't have Windows installed in this computer.

Is there another way to get 3D acceleration for 310M in Linux? Is there any aditional info I can provide to help you to trace the problem?

Thanks,

Marcelo
MSales is offline   Reply With Quote