View Single Post
Old 03-05-10, 11:12 PM   #52
Xion X2

Default Re: First benchmarks of GTX 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Am I reading this right ? their only going to release 15000 cards total...and no more 4xx series after that!!!
That's how I read it, too.

Given the problems with TSMC and the underperforming parts, it could be the smartest move they could make at this point. It's looking like Fermi will be Nvidia's R600. Die-hard Nvidia fans have to feel a bit let down at this point.

I was really expecting it to have a much bigger lead in the tesselation performance given all the hype, but that doesn't look to be the case, either. It sort of makes sense, though. ATI has been building tesselation hardware in for quite a while, so they were no stranger to the game. Should've assumed that it would compare pretty well with Fermi based on that.

Something that should probably be considered, though, is that ATI made a great comeback after R600, their new architecture, turned out to be such a bust. Nvidia could do the same once they're able to get a handle on the new arc. The thing that would concern me, though, is it uses up so much damn power. I mean, peaking 290w for a single GPU that barely outperforms the 5870 which uses around 100w less??

Doesn't sound good.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote