View Single Post
Old 03-06-10, 12:23 AM   #54
shadow001

Default Re: First benchmarks of GTX 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
That's how I read it, too.

Given the problems with TSMC and the underperforming parts, it could be the smartest move they could make at this point. It's looking like Fermi will be a slightly more successful R600. Die-hard Nvidia fans have to feel a bit let down at this point.

I was really expecting it to have a much bigger lead in the tesselation performance given all the hype, but that doesn't look to be the case, either. It sort of makes sense, though. ATI has been building tesselation hardware in for quite a while, so they were no stranger to the game. Should've assumed that it would compare pretty well with Fermi based on that.

I don't think it's so much that issue to be honest,but mostly how the entire architecture works together,and it really does look like Fermi has higher performance with tesselation,but if it's held back by shader power or texturing speed,then only in certain circumstances it can shine.

Kinda like having a ferrari engine(tesselation),but it's stuck in 3rd gear transmission wise(shading and texturing power),so it's not going terribly fast overall in most cases,so the overall architecture looks to be somewhat umbalanced for gaming use....It can still shine when going for GP-GPU workloads and as a quadro product,but doesn't look that good on the gaming side when you consider it's 3 billion transistors.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote