View Single Post
Old 03-08-10, 02:58 PM   #28
Ninja Prime

Default Re: Realistic time frame for Fermi (not happy with 5870)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
I'm not sure what to think.
First we've heard Fermi will have software tesselator, which was proven wrong. After that, it was supposed to be really hot, but the coolers actually look great.
Than it was eating too much power, but if NV PSU recommendation tells us anything, it looks this won't be the case either. We've also been told, that they missed their clocks by a lot and we won't see anything beyond 650MHz, but recent rumours put it over 700MHz, so that might not be the case either.

The only thing I can say for sure is, that these rumours made most forums unreadable
I'm still not convinced they have real tesselation hardware, it is really hot, it has one of the first stock direct contact heatpipe coolers and a 1.8 amp 12v fan, compared to a normal fan like the 5870s, which is a 0.8 amp fan. It eats more power than anything else in its performance class, it eats more power per unit of performance than the competition, it requires a better powersupply with higher power ratings than previous generations and the competition does. They did miss their clocks, they are 625MHz, target was 750MHZ. All these things are true.

So, are you just being a blind fanboy or what? I'm curious as to why these things are out there now for everyone to see, but for some reason you don't believe them?
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote