View Single Post
Old 03-23-10, 11:46 AM   #34
Razor1

Default Re: I have seen the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
They don't really need to do anything when viewed in broader terms,as ATI is owned by AMD and AMD makes CPU's,which are used to run physics in games,among other things of course,and obviously,intel also has a say in the matter,since they're also primarily a CPU business afterall,and both are interested in selling the fastest and most expensive CPU's they can make to hardware enthusiats.
And this is another area where PhysX is winning over development teams. Since PhysX isn't bound by the what CPU you use, it gives the additional benifits for nV only cards, it would be nice if it worked on ATi cards, but thats a business choice nV made, and it screwed over ATi, so what, that is their choice to make.

Quote:
The other point is that i have yet to see a single user claim that at least with Nvidia's current hardware(might be different with Fermi),that they can run a game and GPU physics on the same GPU and still get acceptable performance,especially if the user in question like to play games at high quality settings,so at least for now,GPU physics are relegated to either Dual GPU cards,or multi card SLI setups,which have the extra performance to pull it off with good performance.
Great way to sell more cards right , but another note as I stated about escalation.

Lets take a simple cape flowing effect, in the past we used skeletal animation for this, to make a nice (reletively speaking for that time) flowing cape you would use around 20 bones. Now a nice looking cape would be modelled with around 200 polys or so, it get the bones to flex properly so you won't get any sharp angles or stretching and what not.

Now put that into a per poly situation, mind you the skeleton is still there for over all movement of the cape, but now the calculations just increased 200 fold because its based on the poly that was hit.

Quote:
Nvidia will have a real edge when they develop a single card with a single processor in it, that can do both workloads(graphics + physics),at high graphics quality,while still having playable performance....Until then,it's a gimmick plain and simple.
Plain and simple its not a gimmick, if you don't know how much the load increased for such a simple effect, guess what happens when we are looking at much more intensive effects? It doesn't take a genius to understand this stuff.

CPU's in the past 5 years have increased in preformance 10 times or so, not much more then that, animations of physics that were based on skeletons before, now that are based on per poly, the increase is much larger, the cape example is nothing to some of the effects I've seen in some up coming games.
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote