View Single Post
Old 03-23-10, 12:59 PM   #36
shadow001

Default Re: I have seen the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1 View Post
And this is another area where PhysX is winning over development teams. Since PhysX isn't bound by the what CPU you use, it gives the additional benifits for nV only cards, it would be nice if it worked on ATi cards, but thats a business choice nV made, and it screwed over ATi, so what, that is their choice to make.

Great way to sell more cards right , but another note as I stated about escalation.

Lets take a simple cape flowing effect, in the past we used skeletal animation for this, to make a nice (reletively speaking for that time) flowing cape you would use around 20 bones. Now a nice looking cape would be modelled with around 200 polys or so, it get the bones to flex properly so you won't get any sharp angles or stretching and what not.

Now put that into a per poly situation, mind you the skeleton is still there for over all movement of the cape, but now the calculations just increased 200 fold because its based on the poly that was hit.

Plain and simple its not a gimmick, if you don't know how much the load increased for such a simple effect, guess what happens when we are looking at much more intensive effects? It doesn't take a genius to understand this stuff.

CPU's in the past 5 years have increased in preformance 10 times or so, not much more then that, animations of physics that were based on skeletons before, now that are based on per poly, the increase is much larger, the cape example is nothing to some of the effects I've seen in some up coming games.

Well,this is what i'm thinking about getting this year,being the enthusiast user that i am,and i think i'm covered for CPU power for the next couple of years at least,no matter how sophisticated physics get:

Dual socket enthusiast board,costing 600$,and can support 6 core/12 thread CPU's in each socket,for a grand total of 24 threads and with 48 GB of memory in total as a maximum and support for both SLI and crossfire,and unlike standard server boards,it has plenty of options for overclocking too.

Expensive,sure,but problem solved for a long time to come...It's an EVGA classified SR-2 motherboard btw,and it's out now.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote