View Single Post
Old 03-23-10, 12:37 PM   #40
shadow001

Default Re: I have seen the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1 View Post
All of these things, you forget that now the glass in Mirror's edge also causes damage to the player, as in per poly collision detection, and also now the amount of object calculations of the glass itself. What am I talking about? The amount of calculations to do these things, aren't just a visual crap shot. This is what you guys are missing, you think game developement is still like the text based games of the 80's? I think you guys think it is. Guess what I've been around long enough to know some of the best things in games, that I like, I don't see them in the best games today, and thats why I still play at times text based games.

You guys want realism in physics, lets go through some simple neutonian fluid dynamics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtonian_fluid

now what were we using in games 5 years ago, were we using physics for water? Whats the difference in calculations amounts? Are we using physics in todays water, yeah on a per poly basis, to show interaction, lets get some real physics involved the increase is in the tens of thousands of increase in calculation amounts and more so because we have to use particles. I don't need to keep posting but a basic understanding is all I'm looking for, if you think physics is easy to implement there are quite alot of implications from design, hardware side that without understanding now computers and games evolve on features, anyone even a two year old can say something is a gimmick. I can say Sh*t my favorite games are wizardary 1, 2, 3 and they still are, and everything since then has been a gimmick with game design is involved.

The point is that we're not even close enough to have enough processing power simulate physics interation properly,the way it happens in real life,while having acceptable performance anyhow....That's the point,so shortcuts have to be taken,which is what developers do in the end.

Push physics to it's logical limits and see Current GPU's dragging along at 1 fps in desktop systems,even enthusiast level setups...No thanks.

Here's the link for the CPU's i'm thinking of using with the above board btw:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel

Basically Xeon versions of the i7 920 and can be overclocked to 4 Ghz,and they're only 350$ each and i'd have 16 CPU threads to play with....I'd only upgrade to 6 core/12 thread processors when they get much cheaper of course(1200~1300$ a pop right now..ouch).

Add some nice DDR 3 memory from corsair(12GB of it),and voila,super computer as your home system,and it would cost about 2000$ between the motherboard,the CPU's and the ram.....I could fit that motherboard in my coolermaster HAF 932 case with room to spare.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote