View Single Post
Old 03-23-10, 04:16 PM   #1
eeconn

Default Unable to load nvidia module on FreeBSD 8: link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_unregister_ha

I have been unable to kldload the nvidia module on my FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE (x86) system for the past 2 months. The module fails to load with the error
Code:
[erin@minotaur] ~> sudo kldload nvidia
kldload: can't load nvidia: No such file or directory
When I look at /var/log/messages, I see
Code:
Mar 23 16:18:33 minotaur sudo:     erin : TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/home/erin/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-195.36.15 ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/kldload nvidia
Mar 23 16:18:33 minotaur kernel: link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_unregister_handler undefined
I began having the error with the driver in ports, NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-195.22, but I see the same behavior with the legacy drivers, and just now when I installed the most recent release linked here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148959

I have tried setting noschg on /usr/src and deleting it, then running cvsup again to fetch a clean src distribution, based on info I found when searching for the linux_ioctl_unregister_handler error, which indicated it could be caused by a corrupt src. I rebuilt and reinstalled world and kernel, then removed and reinstalled the nvidia-driver and linux compatibility ports, to no effect.

I CAN get the module to load if I build without linux compatibility, but X dies on startup with the linux-free module.

I was able to use the nVidia driver on FreeBSD 8 for at least a month, but I do not recall the exact date it stopped working after I ran a portupgrade.

The fact that this is occurring for all versions of the driver definitely points to a system configuration issue, but I have not been able to find enough info on the error to try further troubleshooting.

I've attached the nvidia-bug-report.log file. I am currently running my display with the nv driver.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.4 KB, 138 views)
eeconn is offline   Reply With Quote