View Single Post
Old 03-24-10, 05:09 PM   #104
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: I have seen the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Now that i looked at Toss's mirrors edge results,it just doesn't add up overall,as the Ageia card is right in the middle between the results using a 9600GT for physics,and using a 9800GT card for the same,as there's only about a 2~3 Fps difference for the top 3 setups,so that begs at least 2 questions:

1:Why drop support for Ageia's card if it's still performing very nicely overall,with more than high enough FPS values for smooth gameplay.
Because this way they can sell additional cards to previous PPU owners.

Quote:
2:The amount of shaders available on a 9600GT card is 64 shaders,which is what's used to calculate the physics,while there's 112 to 128 shaders for the 9800GT/GTX cards,so it has more floating point power available to process the physics calculations much faster,yet the overall FPS is only about 5 FPS faster than using the 9600GT card for physics,and 2 FPS faster than using the supposedly outdated Ageia physics card,in both minimum and average FPS.
I don't think you can derive how well gpu-x calculates physics based on a benchmark limited by fps.

Quote:
And switching to higher resolutions and graphics settings only puts more pressure on the graphics portion of the overall workload,not the physics calculations,which should remain the same regardless,so in the end,did Nvidia end the Ageia's physics processor lifespan much earlier than it really had to?,at least when viewing the mirrors edge results?....It looks like it.
I don't get why they dropped support for it. It still works with the same hack as the one for ati+physx though.