View Single Post
Old 03-27-10, 02:15 AM   #96
Bah!

Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Meh. Not sure what he's talking about there. FiringSquad showed the exact opposite as 5870 Crossfire was out in front in nearly half of the benches, despite 5870 getting beat in almost every test by 480.

With this stuff, you really just have to consult several different reviews and then pass judgment. People's setups can differ a lot, causing lots of variation.

My 5xxx rig is still in build, but I've been back and forth between Crossfire and SLI over the past few years, and my impression is that they're nearly identical to each other. Scaling is very similar, as most of the benches show.

The 480's actually do scale a hell of a lot better in SLI than anything in Crossfire. In fact, that's the only way I would buy one of these new Nvidia cards, but that's just a waste of money at this point.

I was really hoping for either the 480 to be dramatically faster than the 5870 or for the price to be a bit cheaper (which i knew wouldn't happen). Unfortunately, neither of these things happened so it looks like I'll be keeping my 295 for another generation or so.

As far as the question of the thread, what is my opinion of the 470/480? As an exclusive Nvidia card user for well over a decade I'm completely and utterly disappointed. As far as I'm concerned it's the 5 series all over again. The cards basically fail in price/performance, heat and noise, with the one saving grace being the upper elite dual 480 setup which is more than I'm willing to spend to play a few games.

Total bummer. All this waiting and buildup only to be let down. I guess if these cards had come out before or even near the time of the Ati cards I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed, but to come out this late and with obvious issues it sucks.