View Single Post
Old 03-27-10, 08:13 PM   #45
Bman212121

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
What kind of case do you have? If it's a popular one, then Performance PCs may have a spare side panel with some fan ducts cut in.

I don't think a backplate will help GPU temps any. Those are to cool the memory chips and don't contact the GPU at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Yeah... I have the TJ07 but I have the smoke black glass look.

Also I'm a little pissed off with PPC's at the moment.....don't really want to deal with them again.

Heh, that's the last thing you want to get from them. Trust me on that. They use double sided tape to hold the window in place and expect it to stick.

@Lee: After the hassle with my case I won't even link to them even if they are the only ones that have the item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
It's not the idle temps that would concern me if I were an air-cooled user. It's the fact that reviewers are testing the card open case, and it's routinely running within 10-12c of the max temperature threshold.

That's not good long-term for the card. I see a lot of RMAs in the future from guys who toss these in a case without really thinking about airflow.

But to be honest, if I didn't have my 5970s then I'd be tempted to pick up two 480s and watercool them. I like their performance; I just don't like what power hogs they are.

There's a positive about 480 that hasn't really been talked about much, though, and it's that 1.5GB frame buffer. That will come in useful in the near future and already does for those who mod textures in their games.
That actually brings up another good point. Let's say you have a pair of them in SLI and they do make it to the threshold. I wonder if they will start throttling themselves to keep the heat down. If they do then you're not gaining any performance.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote