View Single Post
Old 03-28-10, 03:17 PM   #16
shilk

Default Re: GT/GTS/GTX 4XX Mainstream

That's all fine and dandy, but with the programs I use, ATi just isn't an option. We use NVIDIA cards at work, and the migration to ATi isn't a good idea right now. If I bring the work home and I can't work on the footage, then I'm screwed. I can always try an ATi card to see if it's compatible, but then I'll just end up losing money on restocking fees, return shipments, etc., if it's not. Trust me, the price/performance is something I've considered when I was deciding to get an ATi card. Sure, I may be able to play games with "high detail levels AND good framerate" like you said, but if that's all I can do, it's just not worth it to me. Like I said, it may be more of a hassle than it's worth at this point.

With GPU companies talking more with developers about implementation of OpenGL, CUDA, Stream, etc., it's a no-brainer in post-production. And right now, I'm not seeing a huge market share for Stream in post-processing houses. It's practically non-existent. Everything is CUDA. Until I see them implementing more of it, I don't think I'm willing to take that chance right now. OpenGL is fine, but if I need CUDA, I'm screwed. Unless I can offload it to my 9600GT that I'll use for PhysX, then I'll be okay I think.

Like I said, I don't want to spend more than $200 on a card. $200 without tax and shipping is really pushing it. It's just not in my budget. I'm not a high-end gamer, I'm more mid-entry/mainstream user. The 5850 is practically useless to me at this point. Guess we'll have to wait and see.