View Single Post
Old 04-02-10, 09:51 AM   #14
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
The Untapped Power of the GTX480?
It kind of depends on how you view untapped. I think there is certainly unrealized potential, but to imply that nvidia is somehow artificially holding back their card is a stretch of the word.

I think once we see games with heavy use of tesselation you will see the GTX 480 way in the lead. ATI's cards put on a nice show but when it really really comes down to it and all you have is raw computational power

EDIT: I don't want to be that douche-bag fanboy.... so I did some research and I'm sad to report that I was sorely mistaken about ATI's performance. With Stream2.0 and the newest ATI cards there's a huge performance increase. With my system for example I'm running around 22,000 PMK/sec with my GTX 285 and 9,800 at the same time (14,000 and 6,000) respectively, with the rest being from my cpu. Here's the graph I found for this very very specific case of Pyrit which uses stream and cuda for computing PMKs (Pairwise Master Keys) for wpa passwords. Have a look at the graph.... they have yet to add data about the GTX 480 series.

Number crunching like this is a much better way to get a feel for the performance of the card. It stresses it in ways games can't and certainly puts more workload on it than games.... My 285 peaks at 95 C when running this program, but only 88 C or so in games.

Also if someone doubts the legitimacy of the graph, it was created by the developers of pyrit who were originally developing it exclusively for CUDA. It's a pretty unbiased comparison
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m