View Single Post
Old 04-02-10, 04:56 PM   #54
shadow001

Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
Do you think that is why ppl jump on the Power, Heat, and Noise Bandwagons?

I forgot to bookmark it last night, but I read something like, it is a common occurrence (jumping on the Power, Heat, Noise Bandwagons) when it comes to close benchmarks.

A GTX480 uses less power on idle than my GTX295 does. I might not bother with getting another PSU right away. And a GTX480 uses less power on full load than my GTX295 does. Nobody has mentioned that until me just now. Isn't that a big plus for me in regards to getting a GTX480?

I think it has been excluded for obvious reasons in addition to the Power, Heat, and Noise Bandwagons.

When viewed on it's own,it isn't bad at all,and it is the fastest single GPU on the market afterall,but review sites are comparing the performance relative to the competition,and that's where the power use,heat and noise and price issues are coming from basically.

You're getting another 10% better performance when averaged out overall,but using more than 10% extra power,or 10% extra transistors,or only costing 10% more or being just 10% louder than the competition,and i'm completely ignoring the 6 month gap between product releases here.

Hence why the overall launch has been lukewarm overall,and while it is a faster product on a GPU versus GPU basis,it also comes with those drawbacks,and no amount of marketing can change that unfortunately.

In terms of overall efficiency relative to the transistor budget used,price,power usage and performance delivered,the HD5870 has it beat hands down...It's simply a better product in those aspects.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote