View Single Post
Old 04-02-10, 09:46 PM   #70
shadow001

Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
I forgot abut the efficiency, Shadow.

But what if only the FPS numbers were in consideration?

And just what exactly are the numbers?

Meaning, if you didn't care that a newly released card costs $80 more, and didn't care about the power, or the noise. So if none of those were an issue. And only the FPS mattered.

And depending on your personal preferences, the Games you like to play, the settings you like, show me the FPS numbers.

Because with the charts I have seen, you don't want to trade for the performance of a GTX480 for the performance of an HD5870. No way. No time.

Meaning, if I had two curtains, and all you knew was that you had to choose one computer out of the two. And behind curtain #1, was a PC that ran a game at 36 FPS. And behind curtain #2, was a PC that ran the same game at 25 FPS. You would seriously pick the one that ran at 25 FPS?

Remember, you don't care about $80 anymore because you get it free. And the Heat is just fine, because the one with a GTX480 has a very cool case. (no pun just temperature wise.) And the noise may still be debatable but I have several PCs that cancel each others sound out, so imagine you do too.

36 FPS or 26 FPS?

Which one is it?

36 FPS or 26 FPS?

Well put it this way,even if we don't pay attention to the power or noise or price issues and concentrate only on the FPS performance delivered,and while the GTX480 is faster overall,in practical terms,show me a single game where the end user would be playing a game smoothly at a given setting on the GTX480,where under the same settings,it wouldn't be playable with the HD5870 cards.

Keep in mind that playable for me means averaging 60 FPS or close to it,which ensures that dips into the 20~30 FPS range are few and far between,which definitely doesn't qualify as smooth by any standard when a given card hits FPS values that low,especially in fast paced first person shooters.

Based on the conclusions from a fair amount of reviews,the 10% average performance gap between the GTX480 and the HD5870 simply doesn't allow that to happen in practical terms....If it's too slow to be smooth by the HD5870 at extreme settings(read 30 FPS or lower average),then the overall situation isn't much better with the GTX480,even if it's 10 FPS faster,and many times on fair amount of games the gap isn't that large....It's still not enough of a performance gap between both basically.

The faster FPS argument for the sake of faster FPS doesn't work if there isn't practical benefits in the real world gaming experience....If going for the sake of faster benchmark numbers,then the GTX480 wins for sure over the HD5870.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote